Long Island Rail Road


by Chris Bain

Beginning in 1898, when the Long Island Rail Road extended the line from Great Neck to Port Washington, the town’s business hub started to slowly shift from the waterfront to the rail station.  Hotels, stores, and  restaurants opened to greet the passengers, and Port Washington and Manhasset started to grow into commuting towns.  The terminus at Port Washington started with a small shack of a building, soon to be replaced with the structure below.

LIRR-06



The view below shows the station at the left as well as the new Hotel Victoria behind the trees, on the corner now occupied by Starbucks.  For many years, horse drawn carriages mixed with the new auto-mobiles.

LIRR-07


This view, from the west looking east, shows not only the station on the right, but the Fleming Building on the left, which suffered a major fire in early 2013. Beautiful cars stand at the ready, alongside the station.

LIRR-12
LIRR-13


Above, the Morning Express, soon to be bound for New York City, sits ready to pull its three passenger cars.  The travel time in those days was approximately 35-40 minutes, about the same as it is today.


Below are many of the local businessmen, landowners, and dignitaries who helped to make this extension of the railroad a reality.

LIRR-14
20140121-Snow-069

Lastly, a snowstorm on the night of Tuesday, January 21, 2014, blanketed the town with 10-14” of snow.  The station has been rebuilt a few times over the years, always keeping the original style that has served it well for 100 years.





Please remember The Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society in your will or trust. 
We are a not-for-profit organization recognized as tax-exempt 
under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3).
Copyright Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society. 
All Rights Reserved.




The Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society
336 Port Washington Blvd., Port Washington, NY 11050-4530
(516) 365-9074  .  www.cowneck.org

info@cowneck.org